Let’s start by first looking at the most relevant functional areas of similarities:
- The base setup of both applications is the same
- Both use a Project within Microsoft Dynamics AX in the background
- Service Calls in Service Management is known as Work Orders in Maintenance Management and both end up as a sub-project in AX in the background
- Service Tasks in Service Management are Maintenance Tasks in Maintenance Management and to a large extent they work in the same way
- Similarly the Graphical Object Builder in Service Management is referred to and works very similarly to the Graphical Equipment Builder in Maintenance Management
- Operations and Graphical Planning works in the same way in both applications
Some significant differences include:
- Visit Schedules in Service Management versus Planned Maintenance in Maintenance Management. This is the biggest and most significant functional difference. A Service visit is scheduled based on the service contract and is tied to the contract details. Maintenance Planning in itself is very dynamic and the heart of any Maintenance department. Maintenance planners always have to balance between capacity, breakdowns and preventive maintenance, but do not have to worry about service contracts
- Therefore while Service Contracts functionality is the heart of Service Management and use of Service Contracts is mandatory; in Maintenance Management, which handles internal maintenance only; the Service Contract functionality is not used.
- Metered Maintenance in Maintenance Management versus frequency-only based visits in Service Management
- Service Invoicing takes place in Service Management and there is no invoicing at all in Maintenance Management, rather internal financial postings
- Production alignment: very often a maintenance department needs to negotiate with the production department about time slots for maintenance, for example during changeover time in production. This requires close co-operation and visibility on the Graphical Planning Board
Would you like to find out more about both solutions or do you have additional questions on which application is more suitable for your business? Please contact us with your questions and you can also request us for webinar recordings or 1:1 product demonstration.